Hello foodies! How are you? So hot in India! What are you doing to beat the heat? Well, try today’s recipe in lunch or dinner; it can help you! It is a dish, originated in Bangladesh. I have learned it from my Mom; now it is one of favorite dishes of my hubby! Share your opinions, I’m waiting!
Narkol-Moong Daal-Chalkumro (Ash Guard with Coconut and Green Gram Whole)
- Chalkumro or Ash Gourd: 1 medium size
- Green Gram Whole: 1/2 cup
- Coconut (grated): 1 cup
- Green chilies: 2-4
- Ginger paste: 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp.
- Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander Powder: ½ tsp.
- Bay leaves: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tbsp.
- Mustard oil: 4 tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
|Green Gram Whole|
- Peel the Ash-gourd and cut into thin small pieces. Wash well and keep aside.
- Roast the moong dal in a tawa for 3-4 min. and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper with bay leaves and cumin seeds. When the seeds splutter add the Ash Gourd, salt and turmeric powder one by one and mix well. Cook for 3-4 min.
- Now, add ginger paste cumin powder, coriander powder, sugar and green chilies and mix well. Cook for 1-2 min.
- Add the moong dal and little of water; mix well and cover it for 4-5 min on low heat.
- After 5 min. open the cover; add coconut and green chilies, mix very well and cover again. Cook until the moong dal become soft.
- Garnish with coconut and green chilies and serve hot with plain rice or roti.
* You can add chopped potato in it. In that case, add the potato with Ash Gourd.
To beat the heat, drink Imli-Sharbat:
Mix 1/3 cup Imli (Tamarind) Pulp, Gud (Jaggery), ½ Lemon Juice and salt with 1 glass cold water. Drink it after returning from Sun. It can protect you anything caused by Sun-ray, like Sunstroke! You can carry this drink in a bottle, when you go to Sun.
|The drink is looking like this image!|
**Adjust the amount of ingredients as your taste.