Hello foodies………how are you? Hope you all are doing well and eating well in winter! Today, I’m going to share much waiting recipe of ‘Puli-Pithey’, which many of you asked for. It is a traditional rice-cake, made in Assam, West Bengal, Orisha and a part of Bihar. You can eat it steamed or cooked in milk. I will share both recipes. Try it in home and share your experiences with me……
Puli-Pithe (A Bengali cuisine made in Poush Sankranti)
For the Shell:
1.Rice flour: 2 cups (or to need)
2.Hot water: to need
For the filling:
1.Grated Coconut: 3 cups
2.Kheer/ condenced milk: 1 cup
3.Jaggery/ Sugar: 1cup
4.Cardamom Powder: ½ tablespoon
Cardamom Pods: 3-4
For the Filling:
|Grated coconut and Jaggery chunk|
1. In a saute pan, mix the Coconut and sugar/ Jaggery together and then place the pan over a simmering flame stirring continuously.
2. Add the kheer/ condensed milk and Cardamom Powder, and keep stirring till the mixture is moist and turns a little brown and sticky. The consistency should be granular.
3. Take out of the flame and keep aside.
* You also can use only grated coconut without cooked.
For the Shell:
1. Knead the flour into tight and smooth but not very soft dough using hot water. Let it rest for 1 hour or a minimum of ½ hour.
2. Make small balls from the dough and spread each ball with fingers into a small shallow bowl shape.
1. Stuff the coconut filling into the shells.
2. Fold them and seal the edges so that filling doesn't comes out.
3. Arrange the pulies in a steamer and steam for about 10-15 minutes.
4. In absence of steamer a vessel with pores in its base can be used. Also, you can use a clean cotton cloth. Arrange the pulies in the vessel; pour some water in a big and deep pot and put the vessel with cover over that and let the water boil.
5. If you want to use a cloth, heat a hundi, half filled with water. Arrenge the cloth on the top of hundi and arrange the pulis on it. Cover the hundi for 5 min. then change the sides of pulis and cover again for 5 min.
6. Serve hot with Jaggery.
1. Heat 1 lit milk in a deep pan. Stir continuously.
2. When the milk becomes half, put the pulis in it.
3. Cook 10-15 min till the milk became thick.
4. Take the flame of and add some Jaggery in it. Stir well until the jiggery mix well.
5. Serve hot or cool.
*This is a gust-post by Kalpona Shaw.
- Put some Boric Powder in kitchen in corners and other places. Cockroaches will leave your house.
- Apply sesame oil for your whole body. Leave it for two to three hours and take bath with glycerin soap. Pour ½ spoons of castor oil and ½ spoon coconut oil in hot water which you’re going to use for bathing. This will reduce the dryness of skin in winter season.